<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Command & Conquer Generals 

Got C&C Generals. It's pretty good. I was a fan of the original C&C (always liked it better than Warcraft 2). And the sequel Red Alert wasn't bad. But by the time I got to playing Tiberian Sun, the formula was tiring (I have barely touched Emperor of Dune). Generals just feels good and solid. It's good old C&C but with enough new and interesting features. So far, there's been alot of urban combat... you know, tanks rolling down city streets, and since the game is in 3D this makes for interesting battles and battle strategies. The A.I. so far seems pretty good too. There's the usual RTS thing where groups of attackers are continuously sent forth, but the paths they take isn't always the same. More than once I was surprised to find I was being attacked from an alternate location, which threw me off since they had been using a different attack pattern a few times in a row before.

The game has no cheesy video clips, just in-game cut scenes to establish the action and this is fine by me. One bad thing though, and I can't tell if it's the game or my system, but it seems to play in slow-motion. Previous C&C's had a "speed" option, but this one does not. My computer's specs exceed all of the game's recommended specs, so I don't know what's going on here. And that's another problem: even though my specs exceed the recommended specs, I can only get a decent frame rate with quality set to Low and all other visual options turned off. That SUCKS.

Despite that, Generals feels like good old C&C, and for someone who hasn't bought a new RTS in almost 2 years, I'm really enjoying it.



UPDATE: October 8, 2003
OK today I finished one whole campaign. Pay attention to the dates here... October 7 I posted this saying I had just started playing it, and here we are, the middle of October 8th, and I've already finished one whole campaign. I played the USA campaign. There were 7 missions. I have to say, I completed these way too quickly and easily.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com